Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our Beloved Baguio City

I recall back during my college days when my classes start at 7 : 30 in the morning. I was walking down at Harisson Road going to school past PRC office and right at People's Support and Sunshine Park.On that area, you could actually view the Baguio city hall and other buildings round that area. It was around 7 o'clock in the morning when I noticed this, a black smoke on top of that area - the city hall. I always see this smoke every morning when I go to school and even today. In our elementary science, our teachers used to tell us that carbon dioxide coming from smoke belchers, factories and other things that cause air pollution rise up to the sky, where they trap the heat from the earth thus, creating holes to our ozone layer. I already felt the change and feeling the change from day to day that I am here in Baguio City.

Ah, the old Baguio City..
I was born here in Baguio, grew up here, and will die here. When I was nine years old, it was -ber months by that time, my mom used to make me wear double clothings sometimes even triple because the cold temperature was intolerable for us when wearing only a pair of clothes. My seat mate in class also does the same however his was twice as thick as mine. The temperature lasts for almost 6 - 7 months. If you were born during the 90's or those earlier who lives in Baguio ever since, you might be able to relate with what I am talking about. I also recall myself wearing my bonnet even during mid day. I also remember the scent of the pine trees anywhere you go together with the fog occurring every afternoon. You could actually appreciate the scent of the pine trees more early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I also remember the times where I could barely view houses along the mountains, and small group of people residing in Baguio City.

Baguio City hills by day
Baguio City hills by night
(I bet most of us might prefer to view the hills by night)
Fourteen years has passed since the last time I experienced the beautiful moments in Baguio City. Today, I no longer smell the scent of pine trees. I can't wear my bonnet due to climate changes which were from being cool to warm, really warm. I can't double my clothing anymore for I couldn't bear the heat. I could barely see the green along the mountains but I see too many houses built over it. If you actually go to Marcos Hi-way or just in the SM veranda and view the mountains over Aurora or Quirino Hill, it was surprising that by night it was beautiful to see due to the lights, but by day, it was like trash - somewhat like a smokey mountain. I began to miss the times I enjoy the really beautiful environment in Baguio City. According to my mom, it was even prettier during their childhood years. It is indeed that change is nature; there is nothing wrong with migration from another place; there is nothing wrong with development; but to the extent that everything will be lost or should I say destroyed - which one is the right thing to do now?

Since I cannot undo what has taken place, or remove what has already existed, and most of all, I am not a god or possess an extreme power to wash away what is destroying the once beautiful environment but what I can do in my power is preserve what is left, and do something to prevent its destruction just by simple actions like the following:

a. Throw your garbage into proper receptacles
    Proper segregation of our garbage is now being implemented in Baguio City. To tell the truth, it wasn't carried out just now but it was already long ago before I even exist. Baguio City was told as the cleanest and greenest city in the Philippines, but I think that was over a decade ago. If you recall the metro aides - or those who are always present at the side of the road or everywhere in public places keeping the surroundings clean. You would never see a single trash alongside the road because they help clean our surroundings. Also, trash bins are present almost everywhere. If I wasn't mistaken, there was only one time that I heard that Baguio was flooded due to a typhoon and affected establishments at Maharlika Centrum. Today, I can now see garbage scattered on Session Road. What happened to all the garbage men? I can also see others throwing their trash everywhere, mostly down the drainage. Drainage is for liquids not for solids especially plastics. If you can't find a trash bin, then put your trash in your pocket or rather hold on to it until you find a proper place to throw it off. This simple lesson was taught to us long before our elementary years. Were our elementary years not long enough to remember this? Or was it long ago and we were able to forget? Is proper disposal of garbage too much to ask for???

b. Try to AT LEAST minimize your smoke
    I am not just referring to smokers out there, but also to those who have vehicles. I understand the fact that purchasing an environment friendly fuel is too expensive. Also regarding the bio fuel that was once invented by our fellow Filipino wasn't accredited by our own economy was a disappointment. So the inventor had no choice but to sell it overseas. Now, the overseas benefit from what the Filipinos should have been enjoying - a fresh clean air. As of today, we cannot avoid the smoke due to increase in technology advancement. But as individuals, we could actually help prevent accumulation of smoke into our air by just minimizing use of our cars if we cannot afford an expensive fuel that saves the environment (I was really wondering why the things that could save mother earth was more expensive that those that could destroy). We could just walk and gives us the benefit of exercise or just commute to where we should go. It is not necessarily to be everyday but maybe once or twice a week (maybe that is also one reason for number coding).

c. Obey the rules and city ordinances
    Rules and city ordinances were made simple for people to understand easily. Filipinos have an attitude of insulting a sign. Like there was a sign that says, "NO DUMPING OF GARBAGE HERE" and yet trash bags are scattered below that sign. I don't know if they were unable to notice the sign, or being blind to see the sign or they are being stupid. We do need discipline. In my own part, I feel ashamed for us especially if foreigners themselves notice this attitude of ours. I also remember the time when I went out for jogging and I passed by the Court of Appeals fence on Leonard Wood road, and saw a sign that reads, "THIS AREA IS BEING MONITORED BY A CCTV CAMERA, DO NOT DUMP YOUR GARBAGE HERE". I recall before that sign was placed, tons of garbage was dump right that place where I saw the sign today. Do we need to wait until a CCTV camera is used to monitor that place before we could avoid ourselves from repeating the bad action? Simple rule yet difficult, well to extreme to follow. How about do we have to wait until nature takes revenge on us before we stop?

A SIMPLE ACT COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I am concerned with what I wanted to live in in the future, for my children, and for my grandchildren. I still want them to see and appreciate the Baguio City that I have saw when I was a child. Baguio city was once called "The Summer Capital of the Philippines" this was evolved due that more tourists go up to Luzon just to appreciate the beauty of Baguio. Now that there is a decline in tourists especially on summer, this title has gone off. One reason maybe is that the tourists couldn't appreciate what was left in the city. I admit, even I who grew up here could no longer appreciate what was left with the beautiful city that I once saw.

I recommend you to watch this video, where a child was able to make her speech about the environment and her concern of its preservation. She wants to save her future and her children's future too. For the record, this speech she had was I guess two decades ago and unfortunately, I still haven't seen or felt any change at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment