Thursday, November 14, 2013

Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda

It's heartbreaking to see my fellow Filipinos having all these experiences, especially in the Visayas region which have experienced the most devastating event of the year in the country. What really made my heart break is the Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) aftermath and its greatest effect on the Filipinos.

The Philippines is a country prone to climate change and typhoon is not new to this country. What is expected is that we should have been ready for any incoming typhoon that is coming towards us. Yet what happened is that a lot of communities have been destroyed and more and more dead have been reported everyday. We could not blame them for the chaos that has been happening in those communities affected for there is major scarcity of basic necessities. Violence has reported to arise due to slow outreach of help. There was no safe place to settle on, nothing. People no longer trust anyone.

Whose to blame in the first place? For me it felt like I should blame my own government for being too slow, too short minded, to lazy to help. But in the end, they shouldn't be blamed. We are all to blame.  Many of us have commented harshly on the government, made rants to people who give cruel opinions on what had happened, took advantage of the devastation to steal from people who are willing to help. Truly you may hate them but hating them and making such rants at social networking sites doesn't do anything in helping the people of those who were affected. Ignore them because it is preventing you from helping them and just wasting your time paying attention to these low life.

While writing this,  I am terribly having trouble getting some sleep, thinking about the situation of the people affected. I tried to search some photos on the internet regarding updates on the typhoon aftermath and what I see made me cry. I really wanted to reach out for them. Wishing I have enough resources to help them and provide them where everything was lost in a flash. I could not imagine how those people still manage to stand up where it seems that there was no hope left. I guess, we Filipinos are born to be optimistic, have a positive attitude that one day, the dawn will come and everything will rise up again. I wrote this short article for the people affected. I want to strengthen them more and hope would inspire them to stand up, be strong. We are here to help them, we are all trying our best to reach them all.

Tell me, with your relatives gone, your house wiped out, you have nothing to sleep on, no dry nor clean clothes to wear, no food and water to sustain your energy and survival, no safe place to move on, most of all your sanity to absorb all these? How would you start again? Perhaps, how would you live?


A big thank you's for all those who helped our country. Forever we will be grateful for all the efforts you have made for us. Tonight I just realized that in circumstances like these, Americans, Filipinos, British, Japanese or whatever you call yourselves from your origin of country exist - . all are just HUMANS.



No comments:

Post a Comment